Wednesday 26 October 2011

Systematic relaxation


Please read though this exercise first before you do it and remember do not attempt to do this while driving or operating machinery. Only do it when you can safety relax completely.

1.      Use your most comfortable, tired, drowsy voice, as if telling yourself a bedtime story. Simply say each of the following to yourself as you follow your own instructions…

·         Now I relax my eyes
·         Now I relax my jaw
·         Now I relax my tongue
·         Now I relax my shoulders
·         Now I relax my arms
·         Now I relax my hands
·         Now I relax my chest
·         Now I relax my stomach
·         Now I relax my thighs
·         Now I relax my calves
·         Now I relax my feet
·         Now I relax my mind

2.      Pause for a little while to notice the feeling and then, if you wish, repeat it. Stay with this feeling as long as you wish. You will be able to return to full waking consciousness, refreshed and alert, as soon as you are ready.

The more you practice this technique, the more effective it becomes. You can do it anywhere that you can safety relax and it’s discreet. If you do it on the bus or the train, everyone will just think you’re dozing. Even if you work in an open-plan office or factory, you can always find an excuse to get out for five minutes.

It may sound like a little thing, hardly worth doing, but taking a couple of five-minute breaks everyday as a part of your daily recovery time could be the most valuable thing you ever learn to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment