Saturday 8 October 2011

Disputing form


Self-Talk Example

SITUATION
NEGATIVE/IRRATIONAL THOUGHTS
ERRONEOUS/THINKING EMOTION
DISPUTING RATIONAL RESPONSE
Friend criticised my hairstyle.
She probably hates me
“All or nothing” thinking. (Mind reading.)


 





Anger and Depression
People are entitled to criticise me. Sometimes it’s fair sometimes not. She was not attacking me as a person but my hairstyle; I don’t have to agree with her opinion.
Woke up thinking I’ll be depressed forever.
I’ll never get better and the future is hopeless.
Over generalisation



 




Depression
I have become better in the past and will again. I will prepare a TO DO TODAY list and call up several friends.
Weighed myself this morning and the scales showed an increase of 1kg.
I am getting fat. Everyone will notice and will laugh at me. I hate myself.
False conclusions. (catastrophising)


 





Self down and Depression
Just because I now weight ........ Kilos, does not make me a hateful person. I can work on accepting myself unconditionally as well as resuming my exercise program. Some of us may never conform to advertising stereotypes.


Disputing form

Review the examples of self-talk and disputation on the previous page and fill in the form below after you have experienced an emotional disturbance. Photocopy as many as needed.

SITUATION
NEGATIVE THOUGHTS
DISPUTING THOUGHT / EMOTION
WHAT, IF, ANY IMPROVEMENT IN EMOTIONAL STATE












.










































No comments:

Post a Comment