Wednesday 18 April 2012

How am I paying attention?

Introduction

The key to learning to transfer Open-Focus awareness to everyday life is to stop and ask yourself “How am I now paying attention?” until that question grows to be second nature. The following questions are on inventory of the kinds of attention we need to learn to be aware of as we move into an Open Focus.

Guiding Question

How am I now paying attention?

Am I narrowly attending to visual objects and space?

Am I narrowly attending to hearing sounds and silence?

Am I narrowly attending to physical and emotional feelings and to feeling space?

Am I narrowly attending to smelling? And to tasting? And to the space in which they exits?

Am I narrowly attending to the internal silence in which internal dialogue occurs?

Am I narrowly attending to the space in which internal images occur?

Am I narrowly paying attention to my sense of nowness and timelessness, to experience of this moment?

Which of these senses are present in my narrow and immersed awareness?

Can I imagine narrowly objectifying and at the same time diffusely merging with the space in which my sensations occur?

Can I melt into and merge with the mind space and mind silence in which internal dialogue occur?

Can I become timelessness?

Can I pay attention to how I am paying attention at this moment?

How many senses are simultaneously available to me? And in how many senses is space available to me?

In which sensory modalities am I able to objectify and merge with the objects of sensation and the space within which they occur simultaneously?

Can I imagine identifying the attention style within which I am resting, that is, while I am attending to how I am attending?

Can I imagine letting foreground an background freely interchange my attention of interest in each sense modality?

Can I imagine what it would be like if I were already in the habit of paying attention to how I pay attention?

Can I imagine what it would be like if I were already resting in the process of attending to how I am attending more or less continuously?

No comments:

Post a Comment